Do you know your family history?
We liked this list our Newcastle Chamber Sustaining Member shared on their Facebook page. It’s a good reminder to find out family stories while our loved ones are still with us.
20 Questions to ask Parents and Grandparents
1. Where and when were you born? Did your parents ever share their memories with you about the day you were born?
2. How many brothers and sisters do you have? What are their names and birth dates? What do you remember about them from growing up?
3. What do you remember about your parents? Your grandparents?
4. Did you have any pets growing up?
5. What were your favorite games and hobbies? Did you play any sports? What else did you do for fun?
6. Did you live in a house or an apartment? What was it like? What was your room like?
7. What was your favorite thing about school? Least favorite? What were your friends like? Who was your favorite teacher, and what was your favorite subject?
8. What did you want to be when you grew up?
9. Who were your heroes or role models when you were young?
10. What big world events were the most memorable while you were growing up?
11. What kinds of clothes, hobbies, slang terms were popular when you were a teenager?
12. Did you go to college? What did you study? If you didn’t go to college, do you wish you had had the opportunity? What did you do instead?
13. What was your first job? What was your favorite job?
14. How did you meet your spouse? How old were you when you met/got engaged/got married? What was the wedding like?
15. How many children do you have? What were they like when they were growing up?
16. What’s your favorite book or movie and why? What was your favorite when you were young?
17. Do you know any stories about the history of the family name, or the origins of the family?
18. What are the most difficult and most rewarding things about growing older?
19. What life advice would you pass along to your grandchildren?
20. What do you want your children and grandchildren to remember about you?